Colorectal cancer is highly curable when diagnosed at the early stages. The growth of abdominal cells in the lining of the large intestine or rectum causes colorectal cancer. It is the reason for the second-highest cancer deaths in the U.S.
Risk factors for colorectal cancer –
- Age factor – older than 50years
- Inflammation in the bowel
- Family history of colorectal cancer
- Consumption of excess of red meat or food cooked at high temperature
- Smoking habit
- Not exercising enough
Symptoms of Colorectal cancer –
Colorectal cancer is difficult to identify in the initial stages, otherwise, it is curable. When the disease gets worse, the following symptoms can be identified –
- Blood in the stool
- Pain in the belly
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Fatigue or excess of weight-loss
Stages of Colorectal cancer –
Like other cancers, when the disease gets serious or the tumor size increases, the threat will become high. Here are the different stages of colorectal cancer –
Stage 1: Cancer cells forms in the innermost lining of the colon or rectum.
Stage 2: Cancer cells spread to the muscle layer of the colon or rectum.
Stage 3: The cells grow into the outer layer of the rectum.
Stage 4: Cancer grows to one or more lymph nodes.
Stage 5: The disease spreads to other parts of the body like the lungs, liver, or bones.
Investigations for Colorectal cancer –
At Premier Oncology, we have a team of specialized oncologists who are experts with cancer treatments. Among the various investigations that we perform, the significant are –
- Virtual colonoscopy – It shows a 3D model of your colon without inserting a camera in the body.
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy – Slender tube is used inside your rectum and the bottom part of your colon.
- Fecal blood tests – It identifies blood in your stool.